2 servings // 15 mins preparation // 15 mins cooking time
Total Time: 30 mins
A delicious alternative to a bread burger using Portobello mushrooms and filling with a divine melt-in-the-middle cheddar beef burger. So simple and full of taste, nutrition, and texture. Perfect with some toasted sesame seeds on top and so low in carbs.
Under £1.50 per serving.
- 250g minced beef
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 1 medium egg
- 2 tsp ground almonds
- 20g cheddar
- 1 tsp lazy garlic or garlic powder
- low salt beef stock cube (⅓ of cube)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 shallot (diced)
Portobello Burger Method
- Remove the stalk from your Portobello mushrooms and trim the top to a flat bun shape.
- Place the mushrooms top side down into a pan over high heat with a little olive oil to brown off. Flip over and cook the other side.
- Add in the sesame seeds to toast alongside the mushroom burgers.
Beef Burger Method
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Into a frying pan over medium heat, add a little olive oil and sweat off the diced shallots and garlic.
- Once soft, add them into a mixing bowl with the minced beef.
- Add the beef stock, smoked paprika and 2 tsp ground almonds. Mix together well.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg. Carefully add a little egg to your burger mix. You are using this to help the mixture bind together.
- You want a firm patty that holds together well. Once you are happy with this, chop your cheddar into chunks and add to the centre of your burger and mould around the cheddar.
- Warm some olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add in the burgers and fry each side for a couple of minutes until slightly browned and the meat is sealed on each side.
- Place in a greased baking dish and pop in the oven for 10-12 minutes until cooked through.
Building your burger method
- Place one mushroom down on a serving plate, so that the flatter side is facing up.
- Add the beef burger to the middle.
- Pop the other mushroom on top, bottom side down. Add sesame seeds and serve!